The following options are available if you are owed money by an individual or business.

  1. Use a mediation service;
  2. Go to court;
  3. Send a statutory demand;
  4. Make someone bankrupt if a person or business owes you money.


Mediation is when an impartial person – trained in dealing with difficult discussions between 2 opposing sides – acts like a referee in a dispute.

Mediation costs less than going to court.

Mediation takes less time than going to court.

Mediation is risk free.


You can make a court claim for your money if mediation does not work.

The court can order the money to be paid.

It will be quicker and cheaper to make the claim online.

Where to send the claim form

County Court Money Claims Centre
PO Box 527
M5 0BY

Court fees

The court fee is based on the amount you’re claiming, plus interest.

Claim Amount                        Sending From to Court                     Using Money                                                                                                                                                                              Claim Online

Up to £300                             £35                                                     £25

£300.01 – £500                     £50                                                     £35

£500.01 – £1,000                  £70                                                     £60

£1,000.01 – £1,500               £80                                                     £70

£1,500.01 – £3,000               £115                                                   £105

£3,000.01-£5,000                 £205                                                   £185

£5,000.01 -£15,000              £455                                                   £410



A statutory demand can be used to ask for payment of a debt from an individual or company.

Anyone who’s owed money can make a statutory demand.

When an individual or company receives a statutory demand, they have 21 days to either:

  • settle the debt
  • reach an agreement to pay

If there’s no agreement, whoever issues the statutory demand can start:

  • bankruptcy proceedings (against individuals who owe £750 or more)
  • winding up a limited company that owes more than £750

If they ignore the statutory demand or can’t repay the money, you can apply to a court to:

  • make someone bankrupt – if you’re owed £750 or more by an individual, including a sole trader or a member of a partnership
  • get a company wound up (liquidated) – if you and any other creditors are owed £750 or more


To find more information visit